Friday, October 3, 2008

the red flags

The people who know me know me to be analytical, thoughtful and reflective. I use these core character traits to guide me in making most of the important decisions in my life. Yet no matter what my analysis of an issue reveals I rarely go against my gut feelings. The analysis of America today is forthright. The National debt is out of control. The economy is on life support. We have failed strategies in the Mid-East. Healthcare costs are crippling the quality of treatment. Energy policies are behind the times. And there is a lack of leadership in Washington.

That said, the upcoming Presidential election will be of vital importance. And so, with that in mind, I sat down to watch the Vice-Presidential debate. Based on Senator Biden's experience I expected him to fair well. And reflecting on Governor Palin's difficult time with the media recently, I expected her to fair poorly. While it is both subjective and somewhat intangible to score debates, I thought they both did well.

I wish I knew for certain which ticket is best for America's future. I do not know. But my gut has long known a simple truth. If you want to get different results you need to do different things. The Obama-Biden ticket is clearly geared more toward working differently on solutions to America's energy policy, healthcare, The Mid-East, and the economy. And so I feel more at ease voting Obama for President.

My gut also has a queasy feeling about Senator McCain and his judgement. Notwithstanding that Governor Palin is at times a spirited speaker, I think McCain's choice here is less maverick and more reckless. Many of Palin's responses are red flags. I just don't believe Senator McCain put prudent effort into this important decision.

Sarah Palin's assertions that there is some relevance between Alaska's proximity to Russia and her foreign policy qualifications are ridiculous. When she choked on the question regarding The Bush Doctrine in Charlie Gibson's interview it revealed a very limited understanding of the Bush Administration's basic philosophy. Then I recently experienced a more comprehensive red flag.

This past Tuesday I was exiting my gym after a workout. As I was passing by the TV in the lounge, Katie Couric's interview with Governor Palin was being aired on the CBS Evening News. Couric was asking Palin what her sources for news consumption have been in shaping her world views. Palin, on this simple question, looked like a deer in the headlights. She tried to avoid responding to the question. This was just a basic question. Governor Palin has asserted herself as confident and ready for this high office and she couldn't give Katie Couric the name of any publication she had read. As Palin danced around the question, Couric continued 'but what ones specifically? I'm curious?'. Palin replied 'Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over the years'.

My brain went into rewind. I started to replay an episode of Seinfeld from season one. Jason Alexander, as George Costanza, was pretending to be an architect. George was asked a simple question--what do you design? George looked like a deer in the headlights and nervously replied--railroads. Clearly George wasn't confident and ready to be an architect.

I view these red flags as I see smoke to fire. I sincerely hope that on the night of November 4th, 2008 the Obama-Biden ticket is elected into office. If not, I envision that I will awaken on November 5th from a shock induced stupor and settle into a paralyzing anxiety. My first stop will be my physician's office. I'll be looking for a four year supply of Xanax.

1 comment:

  1. Even George could fake it better than Sarah! Whatever side your on let's hope everyone fulfills their duty and goes out to vote!! This is the most crucial election that I remember in my voting years!

    ReplyDelete